Sunday, April 2, 2017

Beauty and the Beast (2016)

I was never a Disney fan for the simple reason that I find the modified fairy tales to be unappealing. Perhaps it is because I first encountered the fairy tales in the [almost] original version. (There are still a lot of work to be done in determining which is the original but my point is that I read the non-Disney versions first.) As a child I grew up loving the story of the Little Mermaid because of her adventurousness, her courage and compassion which definitely stand out from the other characters that inspired the creation of the Disney princesses. Aside from her, I also like the feisty Jasmine whose frustrations from her situation motivate her to go out and seek knowledge of the outside world. While I like Belle because she's the only booklover in the lot, her story is not as convincingly good given the many Deux-ex-machina-like elements in the story without which Belle is doomed to fail. (An example is having a really smart and very strong horse who can remember the way to the Beast's castle and who can go back and forth without even resting or replenishing itself. Another is the presence of magical items, the magic mirror in particular, that make it convenient for the Beast to act as savior to his soon-to-be lady love.)

Last week, A and I watched Beauty and the Beast, one of the 2016's most awaited films primarily because of two things: 1) Emma Watson plays the role of Belle, 2) it's a live version of the Disney animated movie. I am only interested because of Emma Watson whom everyone loves as the bright and spunky HP heroine Hermione. (But how fast she as grown!!!)

While I know the stories, I must confess that I haven't really found the time to watch the Disney movies so I remain ignorant about the songs (except for the main themes) and other theatrical tidbits. As a child, I loved more to read than to watch anything on TV, unless it's anime. And of course I have read the Disney stories so I know that the movie has done a great job in being faithful to the animated films. And one bonus is that it also explores what happened to Belle's mother which also answers how come a liberal-minded Maurice would end up raising a willful daughter in a sleepy town where girls are not encouraged to pursue education. Kudos also to the production team for making non-living things come out very much alive, in both figurative and literal sense, as they gave a spectacular performance welcoming Belle into the castle while performing "Be Our Guest", easily one of the most anticipated scenes.

Another scene which a lot of people must be looking forward to is Belle and Beast's first dance. I cried the whole time as the main theme plays in the background. "(...) Barely even friends when somebody bends unexpectedly..." got me thinking about the relationship I am in. Beast in all his selfishness and well, beastly looks, enjoyed the love of an intelligent girl who knows the importance of being true to one's heart than minding the opinion of others. I think that is a form of courage that is hardly replicated in real life when people would rather stay in their comfort zones and give up at the slightest difficulty. A strong will, anchored on authenticity, is very rare these days. That's one, and the other is that I loved how they were able to mimic Belle's gown. It's very close to the one in the animated film!!! More tears, this time because of the production team's efforts.

A just laughed when he noticed the tears that silently flowed from my eyes and pulled me close to him. It's not the first time that I cried while watching a movie with him. Last year, I cried [silently] while we watched Snowden  because I could very well relate with Snowden's girlfriend who clearly loved him but who grew anxious and uncertain about the relationship because of her boyfriend's exploits though in the end [at least in the movie] it was revealed that they are still together.

Methinks though that the Beauty and the Beast could have also explored more about the enchantress and maybe put more emphasis on social injustice, that is, the palace seems to regularly hold parties while the people in the towns looked more like peasants. Maybe we can expect a steampunk version next time, like what they did with Van Helsing (2004). You know, insert French Revolution elements into the story without ending up like Les Miserables of course. (But then LM is more about the events that preceeded the FR.) Then agan, I do not know how the film people will work on it without the audience ending up hating the Beast for his extravagance. What the film did was create an explanation for why the Beast became such a narcissistic person. Maybe in another remake they can do a Maleficent kind of thing, shifting perspectives but still staying true to the story outline. Well, almost, anyway.

So there, I am looking forward to watching Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. I wonder if they will feature Uighurs since there are speculations that Aladdin is actually a Chinese Muslim. Sounds very interesting especially today when the Chinese Communist Party is imposing a lot of restrictions on religious practices and expressions on the Muslims in Xinjiang. I hear that TLM will be out soon but then again, I wonder if it will have a sad ending, the first story that made me cry. A also mentioned about possible remake of Mulan and I also look forward to that although I told him there already was a live version made by Chinese producers, the latest of which was in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment